Monday, June 13, 2011

First negative reviews -- false advertising?

As my book increases in # of downloads, the reviews are coming in.  I treasure the good ones, but I pay close attention to the negative ones to see if there is anything I should change.

There isn't too much I can do if people don't like category romances :)  And comparing me to a Harlequin or a Mills and Boon is actually a compliment in my world.  Also, saying that the romance is unrealistic is an indicator that the reader doesn't love the same genre I do.  There really isn't supposed to be much realism in escapism category romance -- at least not the ones I choose.  I'm a proud Harlequin Presents and Silhouette Desire junkie.  I love those whirlwind romances, the larger than life alpha males, and the intense breakups that are just a speed bump on the way to the couple living happily ever after together. Throw in a Sheik or a secret baby -- and now you've really got me drooling. 

What did concern me was the person who thought I was falsely advertising the download as an entire trilogy when, in fact, it is just the first of the three books.  I'm happy that person shared their frustration, because that was not my intention and, hopefully, it was an easy fix.  I went back onto the description page of Kindle and added the dates of release on book 2 and 3.  That should clarify things as people read the blurb.

So, although no one likes to read negative reviews -- it's important to sift through what they say and decide if any change is necessary.

The second book in the series will likely never be considered for an Oprah book group must read, but it will take the reader on the same kind of larger than life emotional roller coaster ride toward a happy ending.  There will probably also be "no literary value in it" and I wouldn't want it any other way.

And if anyone wants to compare it to a Presents or Desire again -- all I can say is, "Stop it, you're making me blush."

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I started reading it thinking it would not be to good since the cover image didn't look to hot but I do like to read new authors to see how they are and if I like them and go on to read more. I really like to free and have gone on to read many more books with the new authors. I started reading and really enjoyed it. I also like the fantasy world created. I will get your next book. I also enjoy short series with happy endings in each book. Not too fond of books with books with the main character going through 10 are more books. Great job. Also think about getting a facebook account for your books. I am friends/fans with many authors and get updates and release information on their new books. This helps fans to know for sure when a book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. Just read it today. When do the next ones come out? I didn't see dates on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer,

    It takes 2 or so days for any changes to upload...so the dates should be up either today or tomorrow. Book 2 will come out at the end of the summer and book 3 in the spring. I'm so happy people are interested enough to ask!

    Mary,

    Thank you for taking the time to send me your thoughts. I'm very new to all of this. Before April of this year I had never even thought of self-publishing. I was still trying to find Maid for the Billionaire a publishing house. I originally wrote it with the Harlequin Presents line in mind. The editors told me my writing was strong but it didn't quite fit.

    This is quite a learning curve for me. I didn't want to spend money on the book before I knew how it would be received -- but now I think I'll look into having a professional cover made. I'm also learning a lot about how specific my blurb and title need to be. I had no idea that people would be confused by my mention of the word collection in the title. I think I have one more change to make before that is fixed. I've uploaded the dates, but next I'll add (BOOK 1) to the title.

    Thanks for the facebook suggestion. I have an author page, but I haven't gotten the word out about it much yet.

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002298490178

    I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me. Connecting with new and interesting people is the best part of putting my book out there.

    Thanks,
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a class act. Honestly, I admire you so much. I loved what you had to say here. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Annette.

    That means a lot to me...especially coming from you, a person I have a great deal of respect for -- both as a writer and a person.

    ReplyDelete