Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The learning curve

Adding to my list of what you need to know/learn to self-pub:
  • What is Kindle font and how do you get your MS in it? lol  I'm looking into this and will report back.  There are so many how-to sites.  I'm afraid to mess with my MS too much since that is the only small issue it has.  I did find some minor typos.  I'm almost at the point of paying someone to make sure it's right.
  •  Covers.  I'm going to look into pricing what a professional one cost.  I saw some $20 sites...not sure what one of those looks like...maybe no better than my home-made one.
  • All sorts of people will write to you once you put your book out there.  Read the snarky emails once to see if they have a point.  Read the supportive emails twice -- it helps drown out the sarcasm of the others.  And read reviews WITH a friend because you can celebrate the good ones together, pull out helpful criticism from some of the less glowing ones, and have someone there to tell you that anyone who doesn't love your story is crazy.  (Not really true, but oh so nice to hear when you get a bad review.)
  • The world is full of amazing people and self-publishing will bring them into your life. 
  • You're going to make mistakes.  It's ok.  Keep going.  Keep trying.  What does Konrath say.....What is a writer that keeps trying? - Published.  What is a published writer that keeps trying? - Rich.  I don't know how true the second one is....but I'm going to take this opportunity as far as I can. I'd love to be able to tell my kids that it all started one April when I decided to self-publish.

2 comments:

  1. Just read Maid and loved it. Congratulations! Wish you the best on your next publishing adventure

    ReplyDelete